22.04 install questions

Keith keith at caramail.com
Sat Apr 23 18:33:43 UTC 2022

On 4/23/22 10:28 AM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu a few years ago and have been running 18.04.  But with the release of 22.04, this will be the first time I will upgrade between major versions.  (I will be doing a fresh install rather than an upgrade to clean up some of the learning mistakes I made in 18.04.)  There are still things about the Ubuntu release model I don't understand.
>
> I use a backup program called "Bacula".  However, it does not seem to be available for 22.04 (https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=bacula).  Does this mean it's been dropped or rather that it will be released for 22.04 later?  If the latter, how to get an idea of when?  How can find the answers myself without asking in a place like here?

checking bug reports and changelogs from Ubuntu and Debian  will usually
indicate the status of a package

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bacula/9.6.7-3build1 (notice the
build failures on all architectures)

There were severe build problems with bacula at the time that Jammy was
opened for development that didn't get sorted out until version 9.6.7-4.
It didn't get migrated to testing in Debian until mid March which was
past the Debian import freeze deadline to include in Jammy. It may get
packaged and included via the backports repo, but someone from the
Ubuntu community will have to do the work to get it there.

--
Keith