How to backup before a release upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS server?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:49:51 UTC 2021

On Mon, 27 Sept 2021 at 20:32, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading up a bit more I have concluded the following to be true since the
> documentation specifically says that files are relative to the *source dir*:
> I have not seen that one can use an absolute path here...

I think that virtually anywhere in a Linux command that you can put a
relative path you can also put an absolute one.  When it says the
files are relative to the source directory I think there is an
implicit 'if you specify a relative path then `.

I would always go for an absolute path in cases like this, it is
safer.  As suggested, try it with dry run first.

Colin