Neofetch says Gnome 40.5, Configuration says 40.4

Keith keith at caramail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:31:46 UTC 2021

On 10/26/21 7:51 AM, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:

> Hi!.
>
> While the output of the command neofetch tells the version of Gnome in
> the system is 40.5, the "about" part of the graphic Gnome Configuration
> utility says version is 40.4.0.
>
> Wich is right and wich is wrong?.
>
> Thanks you very much, in advance.
>
> Regards.
> Jose.

Neofetch returns the output of "gnome-shell --version" while I believe
that gnome-control-center (Settings) looks at the file
/usr/share/gnome/gnome-version.xml. On my 20.04.03 system, "gnome-shell
--version" reports 3.36.9 which is what Neofetch shows. However,
gnome-control-center shows 3.36.8 which is what the gnome-version.xml
file lists. I dunno why they're not in sync.

I would say that what "gnome-shell --version" reports --hence, neofetch
-- is the accurate DE version.

--
Keith