Getting new hardware - can I just move the disk?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 19:54:29 UTC 2021

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 16:22:48 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

>IIRC you can see the BIOS' user interface, so no test is needed :D.
>Just use an Ubuntu 18.04 live media by booting into a console
>session, instead of booting a desktop environment session. Don't use
>gparted, simply use command line to run "rsync", or "cp -ai", or "tar"
>or ...

But I thought that the live systems (DVD(USB) did not have access to any of the
drives etc, except for GParted which somehow circumvent this limitation?

I have tried to rsync the drive over to an USB attached hard drive, thus using
just the space needed by data and being able to exclude the video files that
make up the bulk of the data used on the single partition of this system.
But rsync threw errors probably depening onĀ“:
- Data in use changes while rsync runs
- There are non-hdd devices mounted below / which also rsync does not like.

If there is a switch for rsync to skip all the items that are created on boot
and only exist while the system is running, then it would be a bit simpler to do
the clone with rsync.

I do have 2 such rsync data sets comprising 35 GB each, but I don't know if
these will be usable if I should have to recreate the system...
In any case they rsynced from /.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden