Help! /bin/bash not found on chroot

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Mon Nov 29 17:54:00 UTC 2021

Am Montag, dem 29.11.2021 um 17:44 +0100 schrieb Liam Proven:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 at 16:49, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:
> > I'm trying to fix the problem by booting from an USB stick.
>
> OK...
>
> > Then I
> > mount the faulty system at /mnt/rootneu and do this:
> >
> > mount BOOTPART /mnt/rootneu/boot
> > mount EFIPART /mnt/rootneu/boot/efi
> > mount --rbind /dev /mnt/rootneu/dev
> > mount --rbind /proc /mnt/rootneu/proc
> > mount --rbind /sys /mnt/rootneu/sys
>
> What?! Why? No, don't do that!
>
> Step 1: mount the disk
>
> Step 2: try to see what's wrong with it
>
> Step 3: see if you can fix it
>
> Step 4: reboot from USB
>
> Step 5: see if it's still looking OK (not due to caching etc.)
>
> Step 6: see if you can boot off it
>
> Step 7: _then_ and only now consider writing anything to the disk to
> make it usable again. *Only* after you know it's good and the problem
> is fixed.

You mean it could be a hardware problem?

I have no idea at all, what's gone wrong. I have restored the system part
(not including my home directory) from a backup and done again what I've
described above. And it seems to work again, just like before that strange
fault. No hints to any errors.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that I've installed the
ricks-amdgpu-utils package ("AMD GPU performance adjustment and monitoring")
before it happened (but that can't be the culprit, can it??).

Bye
Volker