How to stop 'apt update' + 'apt upgrade' from updating one particular library?

Lily White lilywhite2005 at outlook.com
Thu Nov 18 15:34:04 UTC 2021

Have you tried marking it on hold?

>From LilyWhite with love
________________________________
From: ubuntu-users <ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com> on behalf of Chris Green <cl at isbd.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 11:22:11 PM
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: How to stop 'apt update' + 'apt upgrade' from updating one particular library?

There is a bug in the version 10.37 of libpcre2-8-0:amd64 which installs
with [x]ubuntu 21.10.  The bug is not present in the previous version.

Is there any way to prevent apt from updating that particular library
to the latest version when I do an overall 'apt update' and 'apt
upgrade'?

Fortunately, at present, I have nothing which depends on the newest
version of libpcre2-8-0:amd64 so everything works fine with the
previous version.  Hopefully the bug will get fixed and I will be able
to allow a newer version to be installed but for the present I want to
lock my installed version of libpcre2-8-0:amd64 at 10.36.

--
Chris Green