Amazon AWS and hfsplus

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 03:08:17 UTC 2021

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 22:11:19 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 04:13:24PM -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
>> playing with my free EC2 instance... and hfsplus does not load???
>
>While you seem to have found an answer, I'm mystified as to why you'd
>want hfsplus on anything other than a computer that needs to share
>files with an OS X system (and a pre-2017 version of OS X at that).

I'm using it to share photos with iPadOS, since the alternative
Microsoft file systems do not support UNIX permissions and one of
the Microsoft file systems is even less good supported by Linux than
hfs+. Unfortunately I need to run fsck.hfsplus each time I access a
shared hfs+ partition with Linux. All the times fsck.hfsplus reports
that the file system seems to be ok, but without running it first, I
get IO errors (the drive isn't damaged). I don't know the reason for
this, maybe iPadOS turns on journaling and fsck.hfsplus does turn it of
again for Linux usage?