The mess that is 'default browser'

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 19:45:01 UTC 2021

Hi Rik,

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 at 19:36, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the ideas! Is there an advantage in keeping them as HTML
> files? I tend to keep some URLs as temporary text during some research,
> and it's handy. And I store LOTS of downloaded info in directory trees
> as well. I use recoll to search that downloaded stuff - great pgm.

The downside of putting everything in an HTML file is that, like a garden,
every so often you have to go through an area and tidy it up.

The upside is that I can put things in categories and even cross-reference
categories. And I can use text related tools like grep.

To make HTML checking easy, I put a hyperlink to
http://validator.w3.org/nu/#file at the bottom of my HTML pages. Keeps my
HTML clean.

For backups I use "tar" and for digging around for downloaded stuff in a
directory tree I use the "find" command.

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software