VirtualBox Windows 10 64 bit question

Phil phillor9 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 01:33:24 UTC 2021

Thank you for reading this.

I arrived in a town yesterday with Internet access and so I was keen to
install VirtualBox. I now have  VirtualBox version 6.1 from the Ubuntu
repository. However, I've quickly run into a problem. Pressing the "new"
button only allows me to select a 32 bit version of Windows. The
tutorial that I'm following shows a list that includes 64 bit version of
Windows. I have a 64 bit version of Windows 10 on a USB stick. The web
site for the tutorial is:
https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-10-virtualbox-linux/.

The Oracle help file shows this warning: "Warning: Be sure to enable I/O
APIC for virtual machines that you intend to use in 64-bit mode".

Further searching makes me suspect that my ThinkPad T420 may not have a
suitable controller. Is that correct? What are my options? I suppose I
could download the Windows 10 32 bit version if need be. I only want to
use Garmin Explorer.

By the way the T420 has a 64 bit CPU but it may not have a suitable APIC.

phil at phil-ThinkPad-T420:~$ lscpu
Architecture:                    x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):                  32-bit, 64-bit

--

Regards,
Phil