hacked by the (alleged) `amazon-security' scammers

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 22:03:59 UTC 2021

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 at 01:30, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are mistaken. I've recovered
> thousands of files for people off modern hard disks. That's the risk
> that people are trying to avoid by scrubbing - that deleted files are
> resurrected, which is definitely possible and does not require
> expensive tools.
>
> As far as writing every sector 7 times or whatever though - that's
> definitely pointless.

Ah, I see what you mean. OK then: a single overwrite with zeros will
make the data unrecoverable.

The data-recovery theory of the '80s and '90s was that the edge of the
old magnetic domains could be picked up with a microscope or some
other hypothetical sensitive instrument. That might have been
realistic when HDD tracks were millimetres wide, but now they fit
terabytes into the same size platters that used to hold hundreds of
megabytes, it's flat out impossible.

A single overwrite is definitely enough.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053