migrating from Windows 7

Slade Watkins slade at sladewatkins.com
Mon Nov 8 18:07:02 UTC 2021

Hi Ralf,

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 12:56 PM Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run Windows 7 and Windows 10 as VirtualBox guests. VirtualBox
> probably is the easiest to use VM related to sharing folders between
> host and guest and seamless integration with the Linux desktop. Some
> guest apps run without serious performance losses, while other apps
> suffer that much from performance losses, that they are rendered
> useless. Some apps work pretty well with wine. Using wine prefixes some
> apps available for Windows and Linux perform better by using the
> Windows version under wine, than using the native Linux version.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do think I'll probably run something
other than Virtualbox, but WINE is definitely on my list of necessary
things to snag. I've used it before to run Windows programs on Linux
(all the way back on 8.04, the version of Ubuntu I learned to compute
on, back in the day) and for what programs I was running when I was
_that young_, it worked well. I'm sure it has only gotten better since
then!

[snip]

> Another annoyance requires a workaround:
>
> "Since Gtk+ 3.10, its developers added a so-called header bar or custom
> title bar. With this and the client-side decoration, the original title
> bar and window border provided by the window manager are disabled by
> Gtk+. This makes all Gtk+ 3 programs look alike. Even worse, this may
> break some window manager or compositors."
> - https://github.com/ZaWertun/gtk3-nocsd

Looking at the screenshots in the Readme there, that'll definitely
bother me if I don't get that fixed. Thank you for sending this my
way.

             -slade