migrating from Windows 7

Douglas McGarrett dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Nov 8 02:16:55 UTC 2021

On 11/7/21 6:09 PM, Slade Watkins wrote:
> Hi all,
> Somewhat long post but I think I need some help because while I am
> great with tech, I feel overwhelmed and a bit lost due to being semi
> out of the game and could use some help.
>
> To make a long story short, I am considering switching my primary
> workstation over to Ubuntu from WIndows 7 Pro (with ESU) either later
> this year or early next year.
/snip
> - Productivity: I used to use Microsoft Office on a near daily basis
> for writing, though as of recently, I've been trying to migrate over
> to a mix of LibreOffice, Airtable, and Google Docs. I still have
> Office installed as a way to open things that aren't yet compatible. I
> could switch to Google Docs, but then I lose some feeling of
> privacy/security when it comes to sensitive documents that I can't
> necessarily ensure will stay that way.
I would like to recommend Free Office from Softmaker, or the paid
version , Softmaker Office. The latter now wants paid updates, but the
former,
a 2018 version of Softmaker Office, is free forever, and there is very
little
difference. Of course, you get free advice when requested from the paid
edition. The files are compatible with MS WORD. There's nothing in this
for me
except that MS and its policies piss me off, and the Softmaker product
works well and is compatible.
--doug

snip