hacked by the (alleged) `amazon-security' scammers

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Nov 7 22:08:12 UTC 2021

On Sunday 07 November 2021 16:48:24 Liam Proven wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 at 16:24, hput via ubuntu-users
>
> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > I fell for the scammers baloney for long enough, that they had the
> > opportunity to do what ever they wanted to my Windows 10 OS.
>
> Oops!
>
> > I want to scrub the disks and reinstall back on those same disks.
>
> Hard disks, or SSD?
>
> It's important. It's totally pointless to scrub an SSD. Once it's
> rewritten, anything there is gone forever.
>
> HDDs were _theoretically_ partially recoverable with $10 of thousands
> worth of expertise in a lab, 25-30 years ago. Modern ones? Forget it,
> but people still secure-delete them.
>
> Me, I think it's pointless. It's security theatre.
>
> When you install Linux, you will erase and reformat your drive anyway.
> Everything will be gone. (So make backups of your data!)
>
> But if you really want to, this is the best, easiest free tool:
>
> https://aban.derobert.net/
>
> It will wipe then zero your drives.
>
> Then you can boot the Linux install USB and continue from there.
>
> Do you have another computer to use, to make the install disks?
>
> > Maybe use the linux based SystemRescueCD. Although I'm not sure how
> > a real scrub is done or if that rescue tool has the necessary tools
> > to do it.
>
> No point and no need. It's not the tool for the job.
>
> > Anyone here that can coach me a little about how to go about getting
> > the disks securely wiped.

Liam is correct, the simple act of creating a new partition and file
system on the disk or simply formatting whats there if you like the
looks of its present partition table, and whatever was there is gone
forever, HD or SSD. If in writing something to what it thinks is empty
storage, whatever was there is overwritten without a second thought and
gone forever. So quit worrying about it.
> --
> Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
> Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
> UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420)
> 702-829-053

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis