[off-topic] China - Was: The mess that is 'default browser'

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 15:01:21 UTC 2021

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:39:45 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 at 10:38, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, I suppose, if you are happy being a servant of the Chinese
>> government, then that is your choice.
>
>That does not follow. My phone is Chinese (Umidigi: superb value for
>the money, and a very plain unmodified Android built). [snip]
>
>China is one of the main manufacturing economies in the world now. It
>is very hard to totally avoid it, but I see no particular reason to
>want to. Others may, that's fine and that's their choice. But using
>Chinese tools does not mean "being a servant of the Chinese
>government" in any way at all.

Hi,

Bret's wording is inappropriate, but actually he has got a point.

I have to admit that I also use Chinese products, since they do cost
a fraction of products from non-Chinese competitors. The quality grade
of Chinese products is amazing. I never got anything of poor quality.
The very cheap products are often even from way better quality, than way
more expensive products from non-Chinese competitors.

However, a moral conflict is appropriate not only when buying Chinese
products, but also when buying products from other countries, that are
actually produced in China. China isn't known for a high standard in
human rights.

Regards,
Ralf