AMD CPU locks up during video playback

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 03:22:53 UTC 2021

On Wed, 3 Nov 2021 21:54:31 -0300, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>it is very likely your video card causing the issue. The GT710 can't
>cope with the high compression of the video streams, it could be
>decoding as low as 6-7 fps. where as a GT 1080 would be about 150fps

Hi,

when I enabled hardware video acceleration on my Arch Linux Intel
graphics machine some time ago, it was said, that no Linux browser is
able to use it, whatever graphics we are using.

I googled today:

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/08/enable-hardware-video-acceleration-va-api-for-firefox-in-ubuntu-20-04-18-04-higher/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hardware_video_acceleration#Configuring_applications
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hardware_video_acceleration#Application_support

OTOH while using video acceleration on my slow Intel Celeron dual-core
makes a difference when using a media player (and probably a browser,
too ;), software decoding isn't a problem, hence the only issue I see
when using such a powerful Ryzen is climate change, due to the 105W
TDP, but decoding by software shouldn't cause trouble at all. However,
I doubt that any nowadays used graphics hardware acceleration should
cause an issue, but it is not enabled by default, we users need to
enable it on our Linux machines and getting it working for browser
usage is something quite new.

Regards,
Ralf