Spotify..... From where?. deb package, snap or flatpak?.

Keith keith at caramail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:21:15 UTC 2021

On 11/3/21 11:29 AM, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:

> Hi List!.
>
> I was thinking what is the right (or the best) path for get some apps
> running in ours Ubuntu systems. Specifically i doubt how get Spotify.
> It's on the three "main formats" we have these days for install
> software.

I don't use it myself, but judging from its Linux download page
(https://www.spotify.com/us/download/linux), it seems that snaps are
Spotify's preferred distribution channel for Linux with apt packages
coming in second because of prioritizing packages for LTS releases over
the others.  Other package formats (RPM's, AppImage, or flatpak's) are
not available on the website, AFAICT.

Also, keep in mind that the Spotify snap and apt package are published
by Spotify developers, while the flatpak is not.

As for performance comparisons, I think it's just best to try them all
out and decide for yourself.

--
Keith