Binary not found

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed May 26 20:09:18 UTC 2021

At Wed, 26 May 2021 20:50:19 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,? not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 26/05/2021 19:08, Robert Heller wrote:
> >> Does anyone know why the system is pretending that the file does not
> >> exist which it clearly does?
> [...]
> > Typically this is because it is missing some "helper" file, often a script
> > interpreter (is that a script or an ELF file -- the file command is your
> > friend).
>
> There has never been anything like that, fortunately, and there is
> nothing else in the installation zip file. The program is an ELF binary.
>
> > The other possiblity is it is a 32-bit application and you don't have
> > the 32-bit support infrastructure installed. Again the file command
> > is your friend, as is ldd.  My guess is that this stat package is a
> > i386 binary and you copied it to a system that does not have
> > libc:i386 installed and the file that is not found is
> > /lib/ld-linux.so.2.
>
> That could be it, although the same distribution is running happily on
> other 64-bit systems. I'll do some digging.
>
> > One other option: you have either missing or wrong versioned shared library.
>
> It's statically compiled (in FORTRAN :-)
>
> [later] Yep, you hit the nail on the head. The 32-bit version it is.
> I'm stunned...partly at my own ignorance, and partly that my other
> machines all appear to have the 32-bit libraries installed already.

*Older* 64-bit systems often installed 32-bit support libraries by default.
That is, in the "early days" of 64-bit systems, there were still 32-bit
binaries in use. Or at some point you installed some :i386 program and it
pulled in the 32-bit support libraries.  Or something combination.  Or when
you installed this package on those machines, way back when you knew to
install the 32-bit libraries, and just forgot.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364