Gparted drive size

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun May 23 20:44:46 UTC 2021

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 01:21:53PM -0500, Jack McGee wrote:
> I purchased Seagate Exos X16 14TB hard drive. Intention to move existing
> /home partition to that.
>

> I formatted it EXT 4 using Disks gui.

ext4 is a filesystem, and typically goes on a single partition of a
disk.  Normally your disk would have a partition table, and within that
you'd have a partition with an ext4 filesystem on it.  Do you know what
type of partition table is in use here?

> In Gparted, I am trying to resize the one partition, so I can create second
> partition to hold /home.
>
> Gparted will not do it.  After I tell it to resize the existing partition to
> about 3tb, it simply returns to the display showing it has not resized.
>

> Is there an issue with drives of 14tb with Gparted?

My guess is that you're using the older DOS Master Boot Record partition
table (which I think gparted calls "msdos"); for disks over 2TB, you
need to use a GUID Partition Table ("gpt") instead.  You can see which
one is currently in use by going to View → Device Information in gparted
and looking at the "Partition table" entry in the table on the left-hand
side.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]