How to convert my program into a service?

Jonesy SPAM_TRAP_gmane at jonz.net
Wed Mar 31 13:30:16 UTC 2021

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 12:39:45 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:35:58PM +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Additional question:
>> If the program is running as the ssytemd service and it needs to be updated,
>> cay I then do:
>> 1) Replace the executable file in place (while it is running)
>> 2) Command systemd to restart the service
>>
>> I have noted that Linux does not protest if I remove a program when it is
>> running so I assume unlike Windows Linux loads the full program into memory at
>> start and does not need the file anymore?
>
> Yes, this is a routine operation on Unix and should work fine.

For compiled programs yes.  I don't believe it's the case for shell scripts.
Many times I stepped on my own d**k by editing and saving a bash script
while it was running.

Dunno 'bout perl, python, etc.

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD