Ubuntu install using NFS

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 00:27:39 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 5:15 PM Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did all my autoinstall work with a metal box with 4G ram... I got it all
> working.  Now come to find out the "actual" machine(s) I need to install
> over network (remote) have only 2G.
> The install fails.   I then added ramdisk_size=1500000 and root=/dev/ram0
> and not it fails for a different reason (curtain something).
> my goal - how to install hte LIVE server in 2G ?

I felt sure it might not even be possible, but Ubuntu says you can install
the server version with only 1GB ram...

https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/installation

They DO have pretty explicit documentation. Have you been using the
"official" instructions?

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installation-guide/

Here's the part where they have some more details for installing Ubuntu on
a system already running linux (this is for AMD64 hardware; maybe yours
differs):

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installation-guide/amd64/apds04.html

I don't know whether this is relevant to your particular situation, but I
think this is the sort of thing I was imagining you're trying to do. (I
assume you can't run anything other than the minimal images in 2GB RAM so I
wouldn't try, especially if you're not at the console.)