Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS: problem with logrotate and nginx

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Sun Mar 14 20:57:11 UTC 2021

----- On Mar 13, 2021, at 11:09 PM, clanlaw clanlaw at gmail.com wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 22:02, Lentes, Bernd
> <bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:
>>

>> ----- On Mar 12, 2021, at 12:29 PM, clanlaw clanlaw at gmail.com wrote:
>> > I don't think that will make a difference, assuming everything is up to date by
>> > sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
>> >
>> > Presumably it is the invoke-rc.d nginx rotate >/dev/null 2>&1 doing
>> > it, but I don't know why that should be the case.
>> >
>> > @Bernd does anything exciting happen if you run, in a termina;
>> >
>> > sudo invoke-rc.d nginx rotate
>> >

>> I did a apt-get upgrade.
>
> That isn't what I said. To ensure everything is up to date use
> sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

OK. I did that. Everything seems to be fine:

root at documents-oo:~# invoke-rc.d nginx rotate
 * Re-opening nginx log files nginx                                                                                                                                                   [ OK ]
[...]
root at documents-oo:~# systemctl status nginx.service
● nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2021-03-13 21:25:58 UTC; 23h ago
       Docs: man:nginx(8)
   Main PID: 1089 (nginx)
      Tasks: 13 (limit: 19100)
     Memory: 33.6M
     CGroup: /system.slice/nginx.service
             ├─1089 nginx: master process /usr/sbin/nginx -g daemon on; master_process on;
             ├─1090 nginx: worker process
             ├─1091 nginx: worker process
             ├─1092 nginx: worker process
             ├─1093 nginx: worker process
             ├─1094 nginx: worker process
             ├─1095 nginx: worker process
             ├─1096 nginx: worker process
             ├─1097 nginx: worker process
             ├─1098 nginx: worker process
             ├─1099 nginx: worker process
             ├─1100 nginx: worker process
             └─1101 nginx: worker process

Mär 13 21:25:55 documents-oo systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server...
Mär 13 21:25:57 documents-oo nginx[852]: nginx: [warn] the "ssl" directive is deprecated, use the "listen ... ssl" directive instead in /etc/nginx/conf.d/ds.conf:35
Mär 13 21:25:58 documents-oo nginx[1088]: nginx: [warn] the "ssl" directive is deprecated, use the "listen ... ssl" directive instead in /etc/nginx/conf.d/ds.conf:35
Mär 13 21:25:58 documents-oo systemd[1]: Started A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.

Bernd
Helmholtz Zentrum München

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir.in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias Tschoep, Kerstin Guenther
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671