Boot confusion

R C cjvijf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 21:35:30 UTC 2021

On 6/7/21 1:45 PM, Jack McGee wrote:

> On 6/7/21 2:19 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> Why I am telling you this is that you will need to change your
>> firmware to check your SSD first instead of the HDD, which from what
>> you've told us, is what it is currently booting from.
>

> I am sure I can do this.  I have picked the SSD to boot from and that
> is how I am getting no operating system found. If I pick the 1tb
> spinning drive, it boots from grub there.

I am pretty sure  that if you tell the BIOS to use a specific drive as
your boot-device, grub/bootloader needs to be on it too. I noticed that,
was with debian and ubuntu, that if a machine has multiple drives, the
installer can get 'confused', even when the grub is on the same drive.

(grub was on the same drive, but thought ot partion was on another one,
installed grub on another drive because the installed lost track of what
drive was which)

What I tend to do, to make sure I indeed have a single drive to boot
from, is when I install Linux (whatever distro), disable all other
drives temporarily. (there is probably a more 'elegant' way, but this is
easy.)

my 2cts,

Ron