20.04 with NVIDIA and hardware acceleration

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 08:35:31 UTC 2021

On 03/06/2021, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/2021, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have 20.04 installed on a Zotac Zbox. ZBOX-ID41
>>
>>  lspci | grep VGA
>> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev
>> a2)
>>
>>  vainfo
>> libva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
>> libva info: Trying to open
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
>> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_0
>> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
>> vainfo: VA-API version: 1.7 (libva 2.6.0)
>> vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API
>> -
>> 0.7.4
>> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>>       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
>>       VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
>>       VAProfileMPEG4Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
>>       VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    : VAEntrypointVLD
>>       VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
>>       VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
>>       VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
>>       VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
>>       VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
>>
>> The NVIDIA acceleration does not seem to be happening - even though
>> vainfo
>> shows present.
>> libvdpau is installed.
>>
>> When I run the 1080p video with totem I get many frame drops.
>>
>> Is there something special on 20.04 I need to to do and get NVIDIA
>> hardware
>> acceleration going ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jerry
>>

> Have you tried an application other than totem?
>
> I have been using UbuntuMATE for about 8 years with nVIDIA Optimus and
> external monitors with 1080p resolution, on two separate systems,
> without any problems.
>
> If you are using totem for watching videos, try something else, like
> celluloid, and see what happens.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> (UTC+0800)

Oh, and, I am currently running 21.04, on all of my systems.

I have been successfully using Ubuntu, with nVIDIA, since 12.04.

I did not need to make any changes to settings (other than switching
the screen priorities, to switch of the laptop screens and use only
the external monitors), to successfully use Ubuntu with nVIDIA, with
1080p resolution on external monitors.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale