SSD support question

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Feb 20 04:30:05 UTC 2021

I'm considering either a Samsung or Western Digital SSD for an upgrade.
Both say they need a Windows-based program to monitor the disc or
upgrade its firmware, and apparently don't offer any Linux software. Is
there a way to monitor or upgrade these discs on a Ubuntu box? If not,
would I be able to move the disk to my Windows box and do these
operations there? What is the best way to deal with this?

Also, if I format the SSDs in, say, EXT3/4, will that make the disk
totally unusable when attached to a Windows computer, such that the
Windows SSD program would not be able to do anything with the SSD?

If they can't be upgraded, would it be reasonable to just live with the
SSD not being upgraded for the life of the disk?