Install linux package from source.

Robbi Nespu robbinespu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 09:44:17 UTC 2021

On 16/2/2021 6:22 am, M.R.P. zensky via ubuntu-users wrote:
> Hello I am wanting to install a package from source on ubuntu mate. From what I understand I use ./configure.    Then make but my question is where is this package installing? Is it installing to a default location specified by the develper? Is their an option that lets me install it to my directory and if so what is a good directory to install programs?

What package you want to install?

If the Makefile is generated by GNU autotools (normally), you can set
where you want to install using these command

./configure --prefix=/somewhere/else/than/usr/local

else, just open the source file or makefile and change the location as
it could be define somewhere inside.

--
Email: Robbi Nespu <robbinespu AT SPAMFREE gmail DOT com>
PGP fingerprint : D311 B5FF EEE6 0BE8 9C91 FA9E 0C81 FA30 3B3A 80BA