ZPool not mounting at boot

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Feb 13 13:50:07 UTC 2021

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 02:19:00PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 at 11:59, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > I set up a Pi 4 with an external 8Tb drive as a NAS last September.  I
> > installed the minimum 'Raspberry Pi OS Lite' and it has run
> > faultlessly ever since, not a single problem (except those of my own
> > doing).
>
> But that is a single drive. I have an array.

Yes, one of the reasons I steer away from RAID, you have to go to
extreme lengths with it to actually gain security IMHO.  As it's a
*backup* system I only need what it contains if one of my other
systems fails.  The chances of simultaneous failures of both main and
backup systems is small enough for me not to want to go to further
complexity on the backup which, anyway, I believe makes it more rather
than less likely to go wrong.

> > The Raspberry Pi OS is similar enough to Ubuntu (especially when
> > console/headless) for it not to be worth installing a specifically
> > Ubuntu OS IMHO.
>
> I do not run RasPi OS on any of my RasPis and never have.

I've swapped back and forth between that and Ubuntu and find the
differences so slight, particularly when running headless, that it
makes very little difference.

> AFAIK, RaspBian does not support ZFS, and nor does Debian upstream.

I can see little difference between what's available on my xubuntu
systems and what's available on the Pi systems, e.g. on the Pi
'apt-cache search zfs' shows loads of stuff, including:-

    libzfs4linux - OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux
    libzfs4linux-dbgsym - debug symbols for libzfs4linux
    libzfsbootenv1linux - OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux
    libzfsbootenv1linux-dbgsym - debug symbols for libzfsbootenv1linux
    libzfslinux-dev - OpenZFS filesystem development files for Linux
    libzpool4linux - OpenZFS pool library for Linux
    zfs-dkms - OpenZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux
    zfs-dracut - OpenZFS root filesystem capabilities for Linux - dracut
    zfs-initramfs - OpenZFS root filesystem capabilities for Linux - initramfs

--
Chris Green