Missing x64 option inside virtualbox (host on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS Focal Fossa)

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 06:39:52 UTC 2021

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 02:32:30 +0000, Robbi Nespu wrote:
>On 3/2/2021 10:32 am, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did only read a small part of
>> https://serverfault.com/questions/46960/is-it-possible-to-setup-a-virtual-machine-inside-another-virtual-machine
>>
>Yes, this is likely ESXI (hypervisor type1) with VM(Ubuntu) and
>Virtualbox (Hypervisor type 2) inside Ubuntu.
>  .

Hi,

did you read the link and other similar sources provided by googling?

From the document provided by this link:

"Running Guest Hypervisors without Virtualized HV

VMware products prior to ESXi 5.0, Workstation 8 or Fusion 4 do not
virtualize the hardware-assisted virtualization capabilities of the
physical processor (or 64-bit segment limit checks on AMD processors).
If the host hypervisor is an older VMware product, or if your host does
not support EPT or RVI (but it does support Intel VT-x or AMD-V) you
can still run nested guests without virtualized HV. However, you will
only be able to run 32-bit nested guests using binary translation under
a VMware guest hypervisor. You can also run 32-bit nested guests using
the binary translation features of Windows Virtual PC or VPC2007.

Even in this configuration, running nested VMs requires host support
for hardware-assisted virtualization.  Furthermore, the outer guest
must be configured to use hardware-assisted virtualization.  For
instructions on enabling hardware-assisted virtualization for the outer
guest, see VMware Products and Hardware-Assisted Virtualization
(VT-x/AMD-V)."

I don't know what or what not does apply to EXSi 6.1 and/or your
hardware. As already pointed out by my first reply, "I did only read a
small part of" the link. I'm absolutely not interested in nested VMs
myself, however, already the small part I read mentions nested 32-bit
guests.

>Anyway, Ubuntu 64 bit installed correctly inside ESXI. It could be
>issue on virtualbox or ubuntu config...

...or the culprit is something such as what I quoted from the vmware
"Nested Virtualization Documents", last update 11-30-2008.

Regards,
Ralf