ZTE phones as modems on Beaver - anyone try that?

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Thu Dec 16 19:41:23 UTC 2021

On 16/12/2021 18:54, Mike Marchywka wrote:
[...]
> I can never remember the name or number - I think 16 is Xenis or
> something but not sure if Beaver is 18 or 20. I just happen to have
> Beaver on the Laptop and 16 on this workstation.

I think Xenial is 16 (2016) and Beaver is 18 (2018). While both are in
current support, they are 4–6 years old, and much has changed.

> Neither one worked with my consumer cellular phone that routinely
> tries to Bluetooth null files :)

I'm not clear what a "consumer cellular phone" is. Are you
differentiating it from a business cellphone? Is there a difference?

Bluetooth is a royal pain in the butt at the best of times. Many devices
simply don't put out the right information, and most implementations on
desktops and laptops are too narrow, and fail too soon, not looking hard
enough or for long enough to find a device signal. Bluetooth on phones
works much better, and I think the developers of BT on Ubuntu
distributions could benefit from a much closer look at how the Android
implementation is written.

> But assuming I can get it to work, are there apps that are USB
> controlled?

I'm not sure I understand this question.

Peter