Video codecs for 20.04 LTS

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at ki.se
Thu Dec 9 14:47:12 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-12-09 at 13:39 +0000, Owen Branley wrote:
> I can now confirm that I have watched my first Zoom live stream on 20.04
> LTS. My previous report was based on the evidence of a video recording
> only and the reasonable expectation that a live stream would also be
> successful. It was  successful.
>
> Colin's hint was tried out as follows;
> Sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras. This process froze at 2/17 on
> the progress bar. process terminated!
> sudo apt-get install -f was then tried. Result;
> E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process
> 7036 (apt).
> N: Be aware that removing the lock file is not a solution and may break
> your system.
> E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock ( /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
> ). Is another process using it?
> ls -al /var/lib/dpkg was run on 18.04 and 20.04 for info only.
> Shutdown and reboot ok. Then video recording was successful! Today the
> live stream was also successful! Further maintenance may be necessary to
> clear process 7036?
>
> Owen

Good job getting it to work!

Re the installs;
I've a hunch the crashed "apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras" left some
things behind running, so that your next step "apt-get install -f" couldn't
run.

--

Sorin Srbu, Serverdrift
Tele: 08-524 84166

# They say you can't buy happiness, but you can buy a
# motorcycle, and that's pretty damn close!