Video codecs for 20.04 LTS?

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 08:04:21 UTC 2021

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 06:46:40 +0000, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>On Tue, 2021-12-07 at 12:43 -0600, Keith wrote:
>> On 12/7/21 9:42 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> > 1. Download the Zoom deb-package.
>> > 2. As root, run dpkg -i zoom_package.deb.3. Still as root run apt
>> > install -f. Some packages should be installed at this step.
>>
>> $ sudo apt install ./<package name>.deb
>>
>> should do the trick.
>
>Yupp, I usually go for the apt command you write about above, but
>sometimes for some reason it doesn't work for certain deb-packages.

You are much likely confusing  apt-get  with  apt or you used  apt
trying to install a local package, without running  apt update first,
but before running  apt  after  dpkg  you did run  apt update .

Actually when  apt  wasn't available and  apt-get  used instead, using
gdebi  was the better solution. Nowadays  apt  does the trick. It's
impossible that  dpkg -i  +  apt install -f  to install a local package
works, if  apt install  only doesn't work.

apt  is not  apt-get !