fslint on Kub 20.04?

Keith keith at caramail.com
Mon Aug 23 15:55:24 UTC 2021

On 8/23/21 6:43 AM, rikona wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't know if you simply can install the packages from 18.04, but
>>> if so, you need to download the provided versions.
>>>
>>> With e.g. Firefox take a look at the URLs, or just use
>>> https://packages.ubuntu.com/ to see what versions are provided by the
>>> pool.
>>>
>>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/p/pygtk/ doesn't
>>> provide 2.24.0-6.
>>>
>>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/f/fslint/ doesn't
>>> provide 2.46-1.
>>>
>>> apt-get does not install from a local path, while dpkg or gdebi or
>>> apt do so.
>>>
>>> You got informative error messages, didn't you?
>>>
>>> Try downloading the available versions and try to install from the
>>> local path using an appropriate command.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ralf
>>
>> PS:
>>
>> Those versions were probably provided by an EOL, non-LTS release and
>> are still available by different URLs, but not by the regular pool
>> anymore.
>
> That seems to be the case.
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/python-gtk2/download
> says where it can be found and downloaded.
>
> "You should be able to use any of the listed mirrors by adding a line
> to your /etc/apt/sources.list like this:
>
> deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main universe
> Replacing cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu with the mirror in question."
>

>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>>
>> Maybe apt-get for 20.04 can install from a local path, at least older
>> versions of apt-get can not.
>
> Would the above let apt-get, or just apt, install from the new dir?
> And, would adding this older source to apt cause wrong versions of
> other things to be used, say on updates?
>
> Would it be best to NOT add the source to apt, and just download the
> files to some dir?
>
> Mostly I'd like to know if having two different versions of python will
> cause other problems when new/different pgms try to run. Does each pgm
> try to run a specific version or just whatever presumably single version
> is "installed"? If the latter, this could cause problems. I don't want
> to mess up my new Kubuntu comp. :-)
>
> Thanks for the reply!

Have you checked out alternative projects that functionally do the same
thing as fslint but don't rely on outdated and unsupported dependencies?

You might want take a look at following:

Czkawka: https://github.com/qarmin/czkawka

Though not available in Ubuntu repositories yet, the project has
binaries available as a snap (which is in the snap store), flatpak,
appimage, or static compiled image. It's only dependencies are gkt3 and
rust 1.51 (which is available in 20.04)

DupeGuru: https://dupeguru.voltaicideas.net

Same as Czkawka, DupeGuru is not available in the Ubuntu repositories
yet. It's available from a PPA and also a deb package from its github page

https://github.com/arsenetar/dupeguru/releases/tag/4.1.1

It has dependencies on some QT5 and Python3 libraries which are
available in 20.04

I've not used either one, so I can't vouch for how well they work. Both
have been recently been updated, so the projects are active.

--
Keith