Ubuntu 20.04: No sound

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Wed May 20 12:23:40 UTC 2020

On Wed, 20 May 2020 13:18:41 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>Linux doesn't really have a "native platform". It was an x86-32 OS at
>first, yes -- and there are very few of those. DOS and 16-bit Windows
>come from x86-16, NT comes from Intel i860, macOS comes from 68030,
>etc. But then again, Linux is a *nix, and *nix hasn't had a "native
>platform" since the 1960s.

Actually computers already existed before the IBM/Microsoft deal. CP/M
and even MS DOS were no operating systems in the sense of a real
operating system, but for some domains a real operating system is
required, hence *nix operating systems are made for computer
architectures, so they have got native platforms, too.

Updating a basic IO system originally required to replace a ROM or
EPROM, when soldering and burning EPROMS wasn't required anymore,
almost all computers allowed to update the BIOS, by the BIOS itself,
without the need to run DOS or Windows.

Yes, some vendors still rely on deals, hence the OP's computer was sold
with Windows pre installed. If you jailbreak a phone or mount the
machine of a Porsche into a Trabant you are on your own. If you buy
hardware by taking care that it has got no operating system pre
installed, you typically could assume that updating the BIOS doesn't
require DOS or Windows.

Be careful with comparing UNIX or POSIX operating systems, such as BSD
with Linux. Linux does apply to no standard and even don't has got its
own standard! I'm aware of the Linux standard base,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base , an absolutely
fruitless attempt of a standard. While systemd supports LSB init
scripts, it probably is more used to break the Linux standard base and
this example is just the tip of the iceberg. There are nix* standards
other operating systems such as BSD fulfil and there always were
hardware vendors taking care about standardised operating systems.