Useless error dialogue box - was - Re: Upgrade from 19.10 to 20.04 failed - upgrade process broken

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri May 15 16:03:53 UTC 2020

On 15/05/2020, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/05/2020, Chris <chris.pollock1948 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2020-05-15 at 11:43 +0000, Bret Busby wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just rebooted the computer after a firefox crash, to perform
>>> the latest firefox update, which had been left out of the updates
>>> performed, while firefox was running, and, upon logging in, the first
>>> thing displayed on the screen, was the notorious useless error
>>> dialogue box.
>>>
>>> No details are displayed; just
>>>
>>> "
>>> System program problem detected
>>> Do you want to report the problem now?"
>>> <Cancel> <Report problem>
>>> "
>>>
>>> This is on UbuntuMATE 20.04 .
>>>
>>> So, an unknown bug which is unknown to the system bug reporting
>>> software is apparent.
>>>
>>> What is the path and name, of the relevant log file?
>>>
>> Take a look in /var/crash. For instance the last app I had crash was
>>
>> -rw------- 1 root whoopsie 21218 May 14 06:45 _usr_bin_pyzor.0.crash
>> BTW, pyzor is associated with Spamassassin
>>
>> --
>> Chris
>> 31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
>> 08:12:28 up 7 days, 14:46, 1 user, load average: 0.64, 0.69, 0.43
>>

>> --
>>

> "
> bret at bret-Linux-Aspire-5750G:~$ ls -l /var/crash
> total 202000
> -rw-r----- 1 root whoopsie    305572 May  8 08:40 gcc-10-base.0.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 root whoopsie    305582 May  8 08:40 gcc-10-base:i386.0.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 root whoopsie   1017156 May  8 08:41 man-db.0.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 bret whoopsie     81199 May 10 08:02
> _usr_bin_blueman-applet.1000.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 bret whoopsie     75927 May 10 08:02
> _usr_bin_blueman-tray.1000.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 bret whoopsie 188490895 May  9 20:15 _usr_bin_caja.1000.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 root whoopsie   7512547 May  8 08:40 _usr_bin_dpkg.0.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 bret whoopsie   2890369 May  9 12:25 _usr_bin_marco.1000.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 bret whoopsie   3548124 May  9 22:33
> _usr_bin_mate-settings-daemon.1000.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 root whoopsie    800178 May 10 08:01
> _usr_lib_systemd_systemd.0.crash
> -rw-r----- 1 root whoopsie   1558929 May  8 08:57
> _usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash
> bret at bret-Linux-Aspire-5750G:~$
> "
>
> Nothing shows (to me) there, for the last five days.

Oh, and, in the last few hours, I tried to restore that last previous
session of firefox, that had crashed, the trying to reload it, being
after I had performed the update to firefox, allowing it to try to do
the reload while I was away from the computer for a few hours, and, it
all crashed (while I was away from the computer) , including crashing
and rebooting the computer (and, yet again, getting the annoyingly
useless error dialogue box).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale