need simple command line utility to read imap or pop3 mail unattended

Chris chris.pollock1948 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 01:03:29 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 00:28 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> I got fetchmail to work but if I get it from the 12.04 repo it was
> built circa 2011 and needs
> new ssl libs ( why I finally gave up on this lol ). I was able to
> build from source pointing to
> newer ssl lib and it seems to work well. I just wrote a dummy mda (
> cat - ) to echo the
> input and this seems to be what I need.  With heavy use of
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH this
> got the one message from a specific yahoo folder in the .fetchmailrc
> file,
>
> ./fm/fetchmail-6.4.4/fetchmail  --ssl --sslproto TLS1 --nosslcertck
> --all   --keep
>
> But I'll have to see options for running it every few minutes now...
> Ideally
> I can get yahoo to put specific incoming mail into this folder
> instead of
> inbox.

You can set the interval in the .fetchmailrc file. Mine is below:

https://pastebin.com/cjtnjBnY

My main email address is checked every two minutes as shown in this
setting
set daemon 120

The rest of the servers checked are multiples of that such as
poll imap.gmail.com with proto IMAP port 993 interval 2, so my gmail
account is checked every 4 minutes.

You can also find a lot of info on fetchmail here -
https://www.fetchmail.info/index.html

HTH

--
Chris