How to create bootable USB thumb drive with iso file

Sheemon Lists sheemon.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 1 01:42:05 UTC 2020

Dear Liam;

You make for a tempting conversationalist ;-)

The issues you raise are new to me in the specifics but hardly surprising.
In years past I served in a major computer manufacturer.  Questions about
efficiency were poohpoohed.  All the while, an illegal activity was
conducted on a regular schedule.  At one time it evolved around the
strcmp(3) library call.  An undocumented instruction was utilized where a
string comparison could perform (if I recall) about 5-6 times faster.  The
illegality was in revealing this to one software vendor but not to
another.  I was tasked with measuring how fast could fast be, and what the
impact on RDBMS engines would be (they do a lot of comparisons ;-).  What I
was doing, on company time, was establishing the value to these vendors.
What the market will bear, was the popular term.  I resigned.
Nowdays, performance and efficiency are really orphans. My telephone has
6GB of RAM, 256GB storage and 8 CPUs running at billions of
instructions/second.  Oh, I have a cheap "Chinese" telephone (which one is
not?)
I really turned my career towards kernel work, or standalone code. In the
past 15 years I did not even own a computer.  My life was going along no
better, no worse.
I am dipping my toes in that cold, fast flowing river, just to discover it
is really a lukwarm, barely moving swamp.  The scenery is fascinating,
tempting and amusing.  Much more middle age, full of bureaucracy,
complicated, but still;  no new concept was created past 1972.
Challenge me on that, and a much longer letter will come your way :-))

Live long and prosper my friend.  Your name sounds familiar.

Simon