I've lost sudo access and I don't really understand why

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:32:24 UTC 2020

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 at 20:57, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> I'm running xubuntu 19.10 and I've somehow lost the ability to sudo to
> root.

You may have removed yourself from the sudo group.  If you have
another user configured then login to that and add the first back in.
Otherwise these instructions will probably help.  They are a bit old
but I think should still be basically ok.
https://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo
Once sorted then create another spare user so you can more easily get
out of this sort of hole.  It is a good idea to have a spare user
anyway so when something goes wrong you can check it with that user to
see if it is a system problem a a user config problem.

Colin