Having trouble finding a word in multiple files

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:20:52 UTC 2020

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 18:17, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> It's just horrible!  Why people think that 'human readable' includes
> things like XML I cannot imagine.  It's about the most unreadable
> stuff there is, it's far, far worse than just about every programming
> language and some of them are pretty bad.  The only less readable
> thing I can think of is Regular Expressions and they're not supposed
> to be readable.
>
> XML is (maybe) good for machines to read and write but it's hopeless
> as a way for *us* to communicate with machines.  There are far easier
> (and still machine readable) formats.

Exactly!

For some stuff we use AsciiDoc. The old DocBook hands hate it. I quite
like it but then I do not routinely work with it.

I must admit one significant drawback, though. DocBook can be
validated. AsciiDoc can't. Small slip-ups can result in weirdly broken
docs, and you don't know until you see the end result.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com