Migrating from CentOS 6 to Ubuntu 18.04 questions

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jun 18 13:53:45 UTC 2020

Right now my main desktop machine on my home LAN is running CentOS 6, which is
nearing its EOL, so I need to think about upgrading to something else.

One option is CentOS 7 and another option would be Ubuntu 18.04. One of the
major reasons I have been using CentOS on my home LAN is that CentOS can be
installed entirely from local media (eg without any access to the Internet)
and the fact that the install media includes all of the bits and pieces to
implement a dial-up Internet connection. At *present* my only access to the
Internet for my home LAN is via a dialup connection (and no, there have been
*no* other options available: DSL is not available on my phone line, I get no
cell service at my house, I don't have line of sight to a satelite, and there
is no cable service). Very soon now (a matter of weeks) I will be hooked up
the municipal fiber to the home network and will have gigibit ("best effort")
service, so the limitations of dialup Internet will be something I can finally
move away from.

If I move to Ubuntu 18.04, I need to be sure I can set up the same services as
my CentOS 6 machine provides.  These include:

DHCP service (ISC DHCP server)
BIND 9 (local DNS server)
KVM/QEMU (eg "native" Linux virtualization)
libvirt and libvirt-client (specificly, CLI tools for dealing with VMs and the
     ability to use LVM volumes as disks for VMs)

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364