Searching the web (was: Re: Having trouble finding a word in multiple files

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Jun 18 09:56:42 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:52:43AM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 18/06/2020 08:52, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > Yes (although this has now crept a long way away from the original
> > subject) I find that Google (and other search engines) are getting
> > steadily less and less useful.  I want a search engine that searches
> > for *exactly* what I put in with an implicit AND between all the
> > terms.  That's what Google originally did and it's why it was so much
> > better than most other search engines at the time because it was the
> > only one that did the AND.  All the others ORed the terms which made
> > refining a search almost impossible.
>
> DuckDuckGo seems to support this:
> https://help.duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo-help-pages/results/syntax/

DuckDuckGo is my preferred search engine, however it doesn't force
exact match only:-

        Results for exact term "cats and dogs". If no results are
        found, we'll try to show related results.

I don't want it to "show related results", that's the whole problem,
if my search term isn't found why the ^&%&^%$*^%£&(%^**(() can't it
tell me!?

--
Chris Green