Moving to non-Word formats [long] (was: Re: Having trouble finding a word in multiple files

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Jun 16 23:30:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 06:11:41 +1000
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-06-16 at 12:39 -0700, rikona wrote:
> > But, they are coded binary files with no known way to convert them
> > [that I know of]. I can visually access the 'text' portions of the
> > file if I need to, and that is still useful.
>
> How do you do that?

The quick and easy way is to open it with gedit. The text portions are
there, spread around inside a cloud of binary stuff, and gedit trying
to get you not to try to edit it. :-) Visible, but not totally useful
and clearly not easy to export. My only guidance is the file name, but
back in the 8chr file name days, that's not all that good. :-) There
are other tools to access binary files, but this is "right there"...