Having trouble finding a word in multiple files

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 17:16:42 UTC 2020

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 18:34, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> ??? Ay?  Plain text is *way* more compact than other ways of storing
> the data surely. Even the largest books (e.g. the whole of Harry
> Potter or the Bible) are only around a million words so, at the very
> most, I'd guess just 10Mb.

Depends how many documents you've got, doesn't it? And on the file
size granularity of the storage. And on whether you mind your sync
interval doubling or tripling as it does lots of little text files as
well. And if you don't mind scheduling a tool to convert all your
files every day so that the search gets current-ish results. And if
your bandwidth isn't metered, or dependent on mobile signal, or
satellite download (as one of my colleagues uses), or lots of other
things.

Really, if you need to convert your documents to another format in
order to search, then you need a different search tool.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com