Moving to non-Word formats [long] (was: Re: Having trouble finding a word in multiple files

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:49:07 UTC 2020

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 17:28, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> But retraining office staff to think in terms of *data* instead of
> *appearance* is probably not cost-effective. Bear in mind that 30 years
> of Microsoft (and other; remember WordPerfect?) marketing spend has been
> concentrated on the message IF IT LOOKS PRETTY IT MUST BE RIGHT.
[...]

All this and more: strongly agreed.

Item: I submit that MS Outlook, by intelligently combining what had
been 3 different apps -- email, scheduling and contacts management --
made itself the killer app for business email, and because it has
broken quoting and cannot handle top-quoting, it has effectively
destroyed email as a discussion tool. This has destroyed Usenet,
created the entire market of social and business communication tools
from Slack to RocketChat to MatterMost, as well as nightmares such as
"business social networks".

All because it made business email users use Microsoft Word as their
email editor.

An entire generation of users now do not know how to use threaded
online discussions, and this is considered entirely normal and nothing
to worry about.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com