what do you want to see in future apt versions ?

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Thu Jun 4 23:47:20 UTC 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 23:38:24 +0200
Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:06:18 -0700, rikona wrote:
> >On Thu, 04 Jun 2020 12:13:01 -0400
> >Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.net> wrote:

> >> Changing documentation is straightforward.
> >>
> >> Changing commands is hard.
> >
> >How about installing an alias with each distro & update? Is that too
> >hard to do? That way, both sides would be happy. :-) Do the
> >super-users not have the talent to come up with an easy way? :-)
>
> What aliases do you recommend? How do users know about them? Assuming
> there should be aliases available and assuming users know that there
> are those alias commands, then users still need to understand why an
> upgrade with or without removing conflicting outdated packages could
> be wanted. Release upgrades also require some understand, not just a
> less confusing name.
>
> alias release-upgrade="sudo do-release-upgrade"
> alias overhasty-lts-release-upgrade="sudo do-release-upgrade -d"
> alias package-upgrade="sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade"
> alias package-upgrade-no-remove="sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade"

These still use release, package, and upgrade - the ambiguous words that
are at the heart of the confusion. Shifting the order and mix of these
does not fix the confusion. We need NEW word usage. What do you think
about the 2 simple aliases I mentioned.

> What ever you name them, you still need to have skills to understand
> them.

If the aliases are VERRRRY clear, as is, less skill and study will be
needed. Aliases are an intermediate step between the GUI and the 20
different things you can do with the CLI. :-)