Grub and Windows update

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jan 31 22:18:16 UTC 2020

At Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:48:05 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 14:57:18 -0500, Little Girl wrote:
> >As a very occasional gamer, I found the job of making games work
> >under Wine to be too much of a hassle much of the time.
>
> I can't comment on this. My guess is, that it depends on the game.
> AFAIK some games are well supported by wine upstream. Btw. wine-staging
> isn't some "experimental" typically "staging" software, at least for
> some purposes it's quite stable and usually already is even more
> stable, than typically "testing/release candidate" software.
>
> >I didn't like the idea of running Windows in a VM because of the
> >possible hardware limitations when it comes to modern programs.
>
> Some virtualizations are very close to the hardware. I'm just to lazy
> to test hypervisors such as Xen, kernel based VMs, KVM/Qemu.
> Those aren't that easy to maintain as e.g. VirtualBox, but IIUC
> they provide more or less "direct" hardware access.

Usually only the video (?) and NIC are "simulated" with Xen and KVM/Qemu.  I
guess the "hard" to maintain is just a lack of gratuitions point-and-click eye
candy.  *I* found VirtualBox to be a royal pain in the ass to deal with and
Xen and KVM/Qemu *very* easy to maintain.  I guess because I am a CLI guy.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 Cell: 413-658-7953