Grub and Windows update

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Jan 31 19:21:47 UTC 2020

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:51:13 -0500 (EST), Robert Heller wrote:
>At Fri, 31 Jan 2020 12:48:38 -0500 bstanle at wowway.com, wrote:
>> The issue is that she wants to dual boot her computer and use
>> Windows for only playing games (not online) and use Linux for
>> everything else.
>
>If she is only going to be using MS-Windows in such a limited way, you
>might do better to just run MS-Windows in a VM.

Hi,

computer gaming might require direct access to the hardware to get
everything out of the hardware. Note, I'm not a gamer, but I talked to
a few gamers. Apart from hardware requirements for gaming, I wonder
what "everything else" is for. Some software is only available for
proprietary operating systems. FWIW I'm successfully running Windows 10
as a VirtualBox guest on a Linux host, but I also run some Windows
software using wine-staging, e.g. to get access to hardware MIDI.

Sometimes Linux can't replace a proprietary operating system booted
from bare metal. Sometimes Linux can replace it and Linux software even
could be way better, than the proprietary operating system's software,
but users are often used to something and they have trouble with
getting rid of fixed habits.

Btw. I installed the Linux binaries and I also build it from
source for Linux, but only the Windows version running on wine or
wine-staging does the job:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/files/GR-55/

Software available for several operating systems often doesn't run well
on all platforms.

It might become a lot of work, to find out how to maintain all the
needed software without dual-booting. Just installing a VM not
necessarily does the job, let alone that VMs that are most likely better
than VirtualBox, are not easy to maintain.

Regards,
Ralf