EFI support in the kernel

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Sun Jan 26 12:58:31 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-26 07:22, Volker Wysk wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't have a /sys/firmware/efi directory. I think this means that the
> running kernel doesn't have (U)EFI support.

Note that I'm not a UEFI demigod, but I think you've got it backward,
really.  UEFI is more about how your system is working than your kernel,
itself.  By the time you're loading the kernel, everything that *needs*
to know about UEFI has already done its job: the MBR/bootloader & BIOS.
(Though, really, UEFI is a replacement for "BIOS", but I'm using the
term generically.)  The nutshell is that to get your system booting
UEFI, you have to have your BIOS thusly configured, AND do a UEFI-based
install at installation time.  (The install used to require you to
select UEFI from the GRUB menu at install time; I think Ubuntu may have
enough smarts now to simply pick the default.)  But I don't see anything
approaching an even vaguely easy way to do this retroactively: you need
to change your disk layout (need an EFI partition), need to populate it,
change your BIOS from "legacy" to "(U)EFI", etc.  I do not see there
being anything but pain and suffering trying to make this happen
post-facto.

-Ken