xfig does not change fonts

hiller hiller at mpia-hd.mpg.de
Thu Jan 23 18:57:29 UTC 2020

Hi,
i have installed 18.04 LTS.
I have problems changing fonts and font sizes in xfig.
(i am able to change the other components like angle or color)

Installed is xfig 3.2.6a from the ubuntu repos.
What i do: I click on the text input button (or just 't' from the keyboard input) and change the text size or font.
Nothing happens. All the input remains in the same size and font.

Also playing around with the xfig cli options like startfontsize, startlatexFont , etc. does not help.
I googled around and found the hint to install gsfonts-x11. But this is already installed. I have installed:
gsfonts
gsfonts-other
gsfonts-x11
xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-100dpi-transcoded
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-75dpi-transcoded
xfonts-base
xfonts-encodings
xfonts-scalable
xfonts-unifont
xfonts-utils

What else am i missing? Any hint is appreciated.
Kind regards, ulrich