Systemd: how to get into rescue mode

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 14:49:36 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 12:38 AM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 at 22:35, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It hasn't. Although the "rescue" grub boot entry's disabled in Fedora,
>> RHEL, and RHEL clones.
>
> Ah, maybe that confused me. I did work for RH for a little while and
> had to use Fedora. I am not a big fan of the distro.

The RH grub setup's options are weird.

It's now also different because they've written a module to make grub
use the bootloader specification that was proposed by Lennart and Kay.

>> Given this thread, it looks like switching from "graphical.target" to
>> "rescue.target" is brokem, but booting into "rescue.target" works,
>> either by using the sysvinit switches "-s" "s" "S" "1" or their
>> systemd equivalent "systemd.unit=rescue.target".
>>
>> FTR, there's also "systemd.unit=emergency.target", which is the
>> equivalent of "-b" for sysvinit.
>
> Good to know. Thank you.

You're  welcome.

>> I also wish that Canonical'd used X and Wayland (or only Wayland) with
>> Unity 8. And hadn't wasted resources on Mir, Launchpad, and Bazaar...
>
> I'm glad to know it's not just me!

:)

Unity should've kept on being developed as an alternate shell, like Cinnamon :(

> I've been looking at different desktops and distros for a while now. I
> have 2 surprising promising contenders: Deepin, with its own desktop,
> and ZorinOS Lite which has one of the best XFCE configs I've seen yet.
> I am surprised as I was not impressed by "full" ZorinOS, which is
> GNOME-based, with a clunky Windows-like skin.
>
> I'm also planning to evaluate MX Linux on one of my older, slower
> machines.

I'm unfamiliar with Deepin, Zorin, and MX, except that I know that
they exist. How about Elementary?

I'm a Fluxbox user, but I have Gnome installed and I use it from time
to time, if only to try to customize it enough to make it work for me.