Systemd: how to get into rescue mode

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 22:11:07 UTC 2020

Hey there,

Volker Wysk wrote:

>This works! I've tried it with "systemctl isolate multi-user.target",
>and then "systemctl isolate rescue.target". But, when you afterwards
>type ctrl-D or "exit", it stands still with the ubuntu symbol, with
>the dots under the "ubuntu" lettering. It's the same with typing
>"systemctl isolate default.target" instead. So you have to do a
>reboot.

This page gives a quick overview of (now obsolete) runlevels and
suggests that the telinit command used to be used to change runlevels
in a running system:

https://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/run-levels-intro.html

The telinit man page shows that "telinit may be used to change the
SysV system runlevel. Since the concept of SysV runlevels is obsolete
the runlevel requests will be transparently translated into systemd
unit activation requests."

As a result, once you're in a Systemd target, you should be able to
type telinit 0 (that's telinit followed by a zero) to shut down the
computer for a hard reset or telinit 6 to reboot the computer.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.