External Disk Intrusion

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 20:57:35 UTC 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 20:34, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/01/2020 17:49, Colin Law wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 15:06, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I discovered that an old copy of Ubuntu Tweak that I had lying around
> >> has an option to disable the automatic folder opening which was the
> >> problem. So, job done.
> >>
> >> Thanks for everybody's help & onward we go.
> >
> > Are you happy about the fact that (presumably) it is routinely
> > unmounting and remounting without understanding why?
> > That could be embarrassing if it were to happen while it was being
> > written to, if it is a hardware issue.
>
> luckily all that was happening was Nautilus launching the drive's folder
> in Files so there's no actual mount/unmount problem. If that was the
> case, I would definitely be resorting to the command line to sort it out.

That doesn't make sense to me.  The symptom was that Nautilus was
popping up a message saying that the drive had been mounted.  You
stopped it doing that by telling it not to automatically mount drives,
but you now suggest that it was not unmounting in the first place.  So
was it re-mounting without unmounting in the first place?  Is there
anything in syslog at the time it (re?)mounts, and for a bit before
that?

Colin